Saturday 22 July 2017

ORIENTALS TO RIP OUT OR NOT

    designed by Christine Van Hees and re-designed to portray a true Oriental & drawn by Karen Kaiser              


Recently I was at an Oriental Workshop by Karen Kaiser and had the opportunity to learn all about Orientals and a little about colour planning.  Karen carefully  planned the  colours I gave her and also helped others to do the same and gave us a photo of our pattern and made sure that we had started all areas of our mat before leaving................well.................. o.k...............
I was happily hooking along and if you know me (Christine) I always change my mind and well, did it again. I decided to hook my Oriental from the opposite side that I started with.  Well I'll tell you never change your mind (well in in oriental anyway) as I was hooking all the turquoise and after completing the whole edge it was wrong and should have been navy above the greek key, not turquoise. There was a little voice in my head that kept saying, that is alot of turquoise but I didn't listen, Well I'm here to tell you PLEASE LISTEN to that voice.  Never the less it took me over a week to decide that yes I should rip it out! With pain in my heart, I did it but what happened next was unexpected, first of all we learned that you should always make a mistake in an Oriental, well I did it BIG TIME and next I created a surprise.  I looked at it and thought I don't want the dark navy beside the dark green so I created an additional border of turquoise and I LOVE IT!  So Karen says don't be afraid to make a mistake, well I am but this mistake created a surprise of another border..... and in Orientals...............borders are welcome!  I am so glad I had the courage (Jennifer said to walk away from it until I had the fortitude to rip it out) to rip it out and take the time to "THINK" which is not my strong suit, I am happy with how it is turning out!
So...........don't be afraid to" rip something out" and don't be afraid to "leave something in" you might end up with a surprise like me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment