Sunday 25 November 2018

Interesting Things

Ann’s completed house!  Well done!
Today’s selection of things of interest include:

- this is a video about the Master quilters of Gees Bend in Alabama. Their quilts are lovely, made from recycled fabrics, and their story is quite interesting, too.



Below is a link to pictures of several of their quilts that were shown in the Museum of Fine Arts.
http://www.wbur.org/artery/2018/11/12/museum-of-fine-arts-mfa-gees-bend-quilts
And here’s an interview with the film maker:
http://moveablefest.com/maris-curran-while-i-yet-live/
One of the ladies is heard to say “When I’m doing my quilt, my mind is totally into it, and I don’t have to be perfect.”  Sound familiar?

- there’s a movement out in the knitting world that is tracking the weather in a scarf! Each row is knitted in a colour that represents the temperature for that day. It results in about 48 inches of knitting and makes a special gift for an individual, or for a family....tracking the weather on significant years in their lives.  On the right is an example of scarves knitted by folks from a college in Michigan.
I’m thinking this could be an interesting endeavour to consider for rug hooking, tho a row for every day of the year in a rug may be a bit much. I’m trying out a sample with weekly temperatures and I’ll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, check out this link for more on the idea.

- I think I’ve posted something similar before, but we probably need to do more of these....Exercises for the hands.

Betty's almost completed frog - in pantyhose!

No comments:

Post a Comment